Need a break from the family festivities? Fancy a few minutes of peace and quiet? Need time to digest all that delicious grub?
Sit back and relax with this Irish Christmas Golf Quiz. Here are 30 questions covering the golfing year. The majority focus on Irish golf, but there are some with a more international flavour, too.
It's really just for fun, but I have a goodie bag
of bits and pieces I've been given during the year if you want to leave your answers in the 'Comments' box at the end of the post.
I'll post the answers (and the winner's name) on New Year's Day. In the meantime - have a wonderful Christmas...
1. Which multiple major winner quipped “If I had to choose
between my wife and my putter, I’d miss her”?
American commentator got into hot water after implying that Tiger Woods was a
The first Masters green jacket, won by Horton Smith in 1934, was sold at
auction in 2013. How much did it fetch?
$682,000, B: $412,000 C: $142,000
4. The Kulm Hotel golf course in St Moritz has what running
through the 7th and 8th holes?
5. What is the name and age of the English golfer who set
the Solheim Cup alight, beating Paula Creamer 5&4 in the Singles on the
6 Under Rule 14-1b of the Rules of Golf what will happen
7. At 24, Peter
Uihlein is a growing force in global golf. Which US university did he
golfer arrived at St. Andrew’s in August 2013, for the final Major of the year,
in search of the Grand Slam? And who won?
9. What did Graeme Dawson, Gary Davidson, Ally Love and Angus Watson achieve at St.
Andrew’s on 20 June 2013?
|Q. 30 Killeen Castle behind the 9th green.|
10. Which open event did Michael Hoey win in July 2013?
11. Who was the first Irish amateur golfer to make the cut at the US Open this year?
12. Which event did Rory McIlroy win to end his 2013
13. Shane Lowry signed a three year sponsorship deal with
two Dubai-based companies in 2013. Name 1 of them.
14. Who married Kristin Stape in
15. Henrik Stenson was
named the 2013 Race to Dubai European Tour Golfer of the Year… but who won the
same award in 2012?
16. Name the two Irish
golfers who played on the Walker Cup Team at the National Golf Links of
|Q. 26 the Curragh's opening hole|
17. The Irish
Open will be held in Fota Island in 2014. In what other years was it held at
the same venue?
18. What is the name of the famous par three 5th hole at
Lahinch Golf Club, where the flag position is marked by a stone?
19. Which Irish golf course was sold for €650,000 this year?
|8th hole on Fota's Deer Park. My 82 year old dad will neither be appearing in |
the Irish Open (despite the quality of this shot) nor receiving any of
the €21 million paid for the resort.
20. What is the name of the Chinese family who purchased the
Fota Island Resort for €21 million in 2014?
21. Name the course and
the winner of the Northern Irish Open Challenge in August.
22. At what
north west golf club will you find a par three named ‘Valley of Tears’?
23. Who designed the nine new holes at Carne, which opened
to great acclaim in 2013?
24. Which Irish golf club was awarded the 2013 IGTOA Golf
Resort of the Year Award?
25. Which famous Irish golf resort was awarded the Best Luxury Country House at the World Luxury Hotel Awards in November
The Curragh Golf Club changed its name to Royal Curragh in 2013, but when was
the 'Royal' designation first given to the club?
Name the Irish hotel in Waterford that has a driving bay, situated in the gardens, from which golfers
can hit environmentally-friendly golf balls towards a floating pontoon in
28. What is
the former name of Ballyneety Golf Club?
|The 2nd hole at Q. 28|
Irish golf course hosts the Golfing Insomniacs challenge every year?
international golfing event was held at Killeen Castle between 2010 and 2012,
but was NOT held anywhere in Ireland in 2013?
... and a Happy New Year.
Post a Comment