St Anne’s Golf Club are celebrating their Centenary Year this year, having first played over the linksland of Bull Island in 1921. As part of their celebrations they will be staging a Centenary Challenge, taking in four days of great links golf. Running from Tuesday 7 – Friday 10 September there will be two rounds played at St Anne’s Golf Club, and one round each at Portmarnock Links and County Louth Golf Club.
Killarney based Tour Operator, Experience Ireland Golf & Travel, will be Event Managers for the Tournament. The event will be welcoming golf clubs from home and abroad which are also celebrating their Centenary Year in 2021. The event is open to all golfers, with interest already received from Irish and International teams alike since the launch in December 2020.
|The low, weaving rhythm of St Anne's
- Day 1 of the St Anne’s Centenary Challenge will take place at Portmarnock Links on Tuesday 7th September. Designed by Bernhard Langer, the course has played host to GUI, PGA and Ladies European Tour events over the years and is a superb venue for the Opening Round.
- The second round will be at St Anne’s Golf Club, the following day. Situated on North Bull Island, the only Biopshere located entirely in a Capital City, St Anne’s is a low-running crafty links that plays around a remarkable clubhouse. A recent bunker upgrade programme has given a relatively short links some real bite and you can always expect wind to influence strategy.
|County Louth 8th green with views down the 12th
- Day 3 will see golfers heading to County Louth Golf Club on Thursday 9th September. The Baltray links has been the long-time annual host to the East of Ireland Amateur Championship and also hosted the 2009 Irish Open, won by amateur Shane Lowry. It’s a big links and renowned for its ‘second shot’ qualities. It is also one of Ireland’s great natural links, with Tom Simpson and Molly Gourlay designing beautiful holes that have remained relatively untouched for decades.
- The fourth and final round returns to St Anne’s, on Friday 10th September where the Champions will be crowned.
Approach to the 15th at Portmarnock Links
The first 100 years of St Anne’s Golf Club have been steeped in history, from the early days of Marmaduke Devitt & Tussy Murray to the exploits of Golf Professional Paddy Skerritt. The club developments in the 1960s including a new clubhouse and focus on an 18-hole course which became a reality in 1989. The recent years have been headlined by the unfortunate burning down of that clubhouse, in 2000, which was replaced by a new and superbly designed building with views over Dublin Bay. It was opened in 2003, along with the redesigned course that golfers enjoy today.
The Tournament Format will be a team of 4 with two scores to count on each hole. Event Packages are as follows (all Packages include Final Day Dinner):
• • Golf Only – €469 per person
• • 3 nights’ Play & Stay – €755 per person sharing B&B
• • 4 nights’ Play & Stay – €845 per person sharing B&B
• • 5 nights’ Play & Stay – €935 per person sharing B&B
• • Accommodation will be at the Grand Hotel Malahide
Full Event Details are available on the Experience Ireland website with Online Entries available: https://experienceirelandgolfandtravel.com/stannes-centenarychallenge/