So much was made of the kangaroos that interrupted the LPGA Australian Open, on Thursday, that the news about the Black Widow spider barely made a ripple. I'm sure if it had been Karrie Webb who'd been bitten, the tabloid editors would have had pun-induced raptures, splashing it all across the back pages. But no, it was a golfer by the name of Daniela Holmqvist, a 24 year old Swedish rookie who was bitten.
The Black Widow - or Redback as it's known is Australia - injects neurotoxin latrotoxin into its victims. What does this venom do? Oh, not a lot. A headache, dizziness, muscle cramps, renal failure, coma, death.
From what I've read, if it was a female that had bitten her, things would have been far more serious as its venom is three times more potent than the male's.
That said, I doubt Daniela was in the position to ask what sex of spider was biting her when it attacked her leg on the 4th hole.
|No spider was hurt during the taking of this photograph.|
What did Daniela do? She grabs a tee and uses it to dig out the venom.
"A clear fluid came out," Holmqvist said. "It wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever done but I had to get as much of it out of me as possible."
Holmqvist was checked out by medics who cleared her to carry on playing.
I like Australian open and watch and keep its news regularly. ThanksReplyDelete
Sell on Amazon
I can't believe the determination this lady displayed when faced with a potential life-threatening poisonous spider bite. An elderly lady in Riverside Ca. who lived down the street from us in 1057 died from a black widow bite, and they scare me to death as a result. I was 6 then, and even as a grown man I would not have had the courage this golfer showed by digging the poison out and playing on. Now THAT is a premier example of the golf addiction!ReplyDelete