|Views over the 5th green at North West|
Click on the course's blue name to be taken to the relevant website.
11. Moyvalley – having endured a turbulent time since opening in 2006, Moyvalley has new owners and a course that is being returned to the condition of its early days. There is no particular drama to the low, swaying fairways or big flowing greens, but the rhythm of the landscape is almost hypnotic. Green fees (€20-€35)
|The 1st hole at Naas, doglegging right|
|Views from the bar balcony over North West's low, svelte fairways|
|The tricky par three 3rd at Portarlington|
15. Rathcore – a personal favourite where a new course proves it doesn’t have to be long to be brilliant. Instead of blasting it all day, there’s a greater emphasis on clever and/or sensible shot-making. Smart greens, pretty water features and two gorse-drenched hillocks define an exceptional day’s golfing. Green fees (€20-€35)
|The beauty of Rathcore on full display|
16. Rossmore – topsy-turvy stuff as holes ramble up and over a rolling landscape that promises big tee shots and tempting approaches. Apart from one level corner of the course there are few flat lies. Green fees (€25-€30)
|The deviously tricky par three 6th at Rossmore|
17. Royal County Down (Annesley) It’s Royal County Down’s baby course, so enjoy the exceptional conditioning, three tantalising new holes, the same spectacular views and a round of links golf that will keep you guessing from start to finish. It’s a par 66 but with that much gorse and that much danger around greens, expect a lost ball or two. Green fees (Stg £20-£28)
|The new 10th hole at Royal County Down (Annesley)|
|The low, rumbling 8th at Royal Curragh|
19. West Waterford – unsung, but definitely worth a golfer’s time if anywhere near the Waterford/Cork border. It may not have the finesse for the Top 100, but its peaceful setting on the River Brickey, and its design by Eddie Hackett mean you can’t help but enjoy this relaxing course. Good movement to the land and enchanting par threes. Green fees (€25-€35)
|The sweet par three 11th at West Waterford|
And a special addition...
21. Scrabo (yes, I know it’s not to everyone’s taste, but if you’ve been a regular visitor to this blog (or my books) did you honestly think I was going to leave this one out of my list!). The. Best. Golf. Adventure. On. This. Island.
|The 17th at Scrabo. DON'T get distracted by the views.|
The first ten courses are here.
There are others, undoubtedly. Let's hear your contenders...