John Dooley, a PGA Pro, has produced the following blog which simplifies things greatly...
As a golfer you should take responsibility for your actions and I really like what the USGA is doing with a Pace of play campaign to stamp out slow play. The following six points is the pledge the USGA is asking fellow golfers to sign up to:
- Identify ways that I can pick up the pace
- Give Tee It Forward a try
- Practice “ready golf” during stroke play
- Serve as an example for those around me
- Embrace opportunities to play nine holes
- Play more quickly, play better and have more fun!
It makes sense and why not give it a try. You could make a strong suggestion to your club pro and club manager to introduce a similar promotion within your club!
Here is an example you could use and attach the note to every score card:
At Far Away Lands Golf Club; we would like to make your golf experience an enjoyable one. So we are asking you to help golfers within your group to play a faster round of golf and....
- Identify ways that you can play faster golf
- If the golf course you are playing is too tough, please move up to a more comfortable tee box
- Play golf when you are ready to play & keep play moving
- Serve as an example to golfers in your group
- Develop a good pre-shot routine where you can play faster golf
- Play well and enjoy a faster round of golf
This is great by the USGA and I wish them every success. I have signed the pledge, here is the link USGA sign up to the pledge and why not. A faster round of golf is in every golfer's interest.
John also works in golf tourism. Check out his Concierge Golf website.