Sunday, August 20, 2017

Lahinch Golf Club 125 Years

Chipping in to the 6th green.
The club was founded on April 15th 1892, in Sharry’s Hotel on the main street of Lahinch (where the post office is today). Members of the Black Watch Regiment met and signed a lease with Daniel Thynne, and the first game took place on that very day, with holes marked out by feathers and sticks.

In 1894, Old Tom Morris arrived to lend his design expertise and it says a lot that over a century later two of his greatest holes (Klondyke and The Dell)
remain as they were back then. The first South of Ireland Championship took place the following year.

The golf course thrived, helped in no small part by the West Clare Railway which stopped in Lahinch. Indeed, it was the railway that led to Lahinch being established here… and not in the dunes at Doonbeg, which had also been considered. Thanks to the railway, a golfer could leave Euston station in London at 6pm and be on the links by lunchtime the following day.
Klondyke... the par five 4th. As brilliant today as it always has been.
The year 1926 saw the arrival of Dr. Alistair MacKenzie at Lahinch, and a new stage in the course’s evolution. His work, revered worldwide, ensured that Lahinch would remain one of the world’s best links for decades to come. Subsequent work was undertaken by Martin Hawtree, in 2000, when Lahinch recognised that the demands of the modern golfer had changed… as had golf equipment.

The changes were well received and Lahinch remains at the pinnacle of world golf.
The famous 6th and one of the most stunning approaches in golf.
In a nice touch of historical significance, the club’s incoming Captain, Padraig Slattery, is the great grandson of Daniel Thynne.

Lahinch Golf Club 2017 Activities

Good Friday saw the rededication of a plaque on Lahinch’s main street, at the former site of Sharry’s Hotel. Two days later, on Easter Sunday, a book entitled ‘125 Years of Golf at Lahinch’ was launched at the golf club. This is available for sale in the Pro shop.
Approach to the 7th at Lahinch.
In June there was a Club Invitational on the 26th, 27th and 28th. Representatives from 80 affiliated golf clubs were invited, including clubs belonging to the Alister MacKenzie Society (of which Cork Golf Club is one).

All former South of Ireland champions were invited to a day’s golf and dinner on 31st July, ahead of this year's tournament. Paul McGinley, a former winner, was the guest of honour.
Approaching the driveable par four 13th.
August will see a two week celebration for members, with a Members/Guest invitational on the 18th and 19th.
This year's Captains with the Goat Rampant.
The club, so famous for its goats and their weather forecasting abilities, also unveiled a bronze ‘goat rampant’ beside the 1st tee this summer. All those golfers who so eagerly pursue the goats for that all important selfie will now be able to fulfil that requirement before they even tee off.

Lahinch Golf Club website
Lahinch Golf Club photographs

No comments:

Post a Comment